Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day and Paczki Day



May I say that receiving this Valentine means so much more to me than dozens of roses?   I do love roses so I wouldn't mind having both, but if I have to choose I would without question still take this thoughtful Valentine from my sweet great-niece.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you and to those you love!

And speaking of sweet, in a few days we'll celebrate Paczki Day.  I have written before about some of our Polish traditions here. Another one we celebrate is Paczki Day on Fat Tuesday. If you live anywhere near a Polish community, you know what paczki (PAWNCH-kee) are. 

 


Now don't be fooled. What those chain grocery stores call "paczki" are nothing but lighter-than-air jelly filled donuts!  To get the real thing head to that Polish community and - be warned - stand in line to get the real thing:  "In Garfield Heights, Ohio, the police reported that one year 3,000 people waited in line for pączki on Pączki Day."

The traditional Paczki look like the ones above, darker and denser - " ... pączki are made from especially rich dough containing eggs, fats, sugar and sometimes milk. They feature a variety of fruit and creme fillings and can be glazed, or covered with granulated or powdered sugar. Powidła (stewed plum jam) and wild rose hip jam are traditional fillings, but many others are used as well, including strawberry, Bavarian cream, blueberry, custard, raspberry and apple.  Paczki,Wikipedia

Fortunately, I don't have to stand in line. My sweet niece (Elise's mom, see above) makes them every year and I get to visit and eat my fill. I love that she still carries on that tradition, and especially so because they are time-consuming to make and not necessarily easy to get just right.

Since my blog will devoted to a very special feature all next week, I'm wishing you HAPPY PACZKI DAY a little early!


2 comments:

  1. That is an adorable Valentine. I am sure you will cherish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa, you're right. She is a really sweet caring girl (and so are her sister and her mom). I'm lucky to have such relatives!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails