Friday, February 12, 2010

WE HAVE A WINNER!!

We have a winner for the February Charades contest:

Shia Godwin!

No one guessed ALL eight of the movies.  So here's where my head was when I put this together.  Doing this one reminded me that a few of my all-time favorite movies were from the '60s.  And thanks to all the artists who let me borrow their art!





1. The Music Man – (1962) Won Oscars for the music, Golden Globe for best picture. All together now, march: “76 Trombones led the big parade …”
















2. Mary Poppins - (1964) Julie Andrews received the Best Actress Oscar and it was considered her best revenge at the time. Julie had  created the role of Eliza Doolittle in “My Fair Lady” on Broadway, but when it came time for the film they gave the role to Audrey Hepburn because she was a bigger star. “My Fair Lady” received the Best Picture Oscar that year, but Julie had her personal victory.








3. Night of the Living Dead – (1968) My younger sisters still have nightmares about the zombies in this monster movie!















4. Bullitt – (1968) Steve McQueen drove a Highland Green 1968 Mustang GT 390 Fastback for the famous chase scenes. I have two personal recollections. I was working for Ford’s advertising agency when the Mustang was introduced. New car announcements used to be a really big deal, and the Mustang announcement was unique in that in was introduced in a solid 1-day blitz in ALL media ALL day. It was exciting to be part of that top-secret project. Fast forward to 1967-68, I’m living in San Francisco and Bullitt is being filmed on the streets of SF. My girlfriends and I ran all over the city after work trying to get a look at McQueen, one of the hot leading men at the time. Never saw him.








 
5. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - (1964) I said it was in the top ten of longest movie titles! If you saw the movie, you couldn’t forget the image of Major “King” Kong (Slim Pickens) straddling the bomb and riding it down like a cowboy on a bucking bronco! It won the best picture Oscar for Stanley Kubrick. I thought I did a good job with this one, but nobody guessed it!!






6. Bonnie and Clyde – (1967) Great gangster movie, with another hottie at the time, Warren Beatty. The ambush scene is one of the bloodiest and most graphic I’ve ever seen in a movie.













7. The Hustler – (1961) Dreamy Paul Newman as “Fast Eddie,” pool hall hustler. It’s hard to believe, but Newman appeared in almost 20 movies in the ‘60s, and they were some of his best-known films (This one, plus Hud, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid).









8. The Graduate – (1967) The soundtrack for this great film included several songs by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, who were extremely popular at the time. “Are you goin' to Scarborough Fair? Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Remember me to one who lives there, she once was a true love of mine.”














 And the bonus????
 

Shia finally guessed it – “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” The title of the photo: MOON RIVER!! ROFL!!  Shia, if you hadn’t been the winner from the drawing, you would have deserved a prize for this guess alone! Thanks!







Thanks to all for playing the game.  This one was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails