Saturday, March 6, 2010

Funny Stuff - Or Is It?


I have resisted the impulse to write here that I am disappointed, dejected and confused that sales in my Etsy shop are at a snail's crawl since before the Christmas holidays. I had only two sales in the supposed "selling season" in November/December. And I have not had a single sale in 2010. I think the snail died on January 1! LOL   I resisted the impulse to write about it because I could just hear all of you: "would you like some cheese with that whine?"  Nobody likes to listen to a complainer ....

I know that post-holidays are a slow time; I know I should be patient; I know there's lots of artists on Etsy so it's hard to be noticed; but I have to face the fact that I am spending way more than I am making. Sooner or later the IRS will be asking if I'm running a business or a charity.  

I'm still not sure what to do about this sorry state of affairs, but at least for now I'm revamping my shop and reducing inventory. I'm going to be ruthless and weed out the lower performers - based on hearts and views - no matter how much I like them. I have to stop being so "easily pleased" - my closets are too full of unsold works.  And then I just might walk away for awhile and tackle some unfinished projects around my home.  After that, who knows? I can't see putting in so much time and money indefinitely.

I almost wish I hadn't signed up to Google Analytics. When views are way up, I can't figure out why the sales don't happen proportionately. And then GA dispassionately points out to me that my visitors drop like a rock when I don't post new work on Etsy or even if I don't post anything for a day or so on this blog. 

If anyone has the secret to turning "lookers" into "buyers" let me know. And if you have your eye on one of my pieces - yes, you: the one who keeps coming back and looking at it - you'd better buy it now because it may be gone soon. 

Okay, I'm done whining.  I'm off to have a REAL glass of wine with some cheese!
  

5 comments:

  1. Wish I had the secret to share! Hang in there - sending hugs :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacey. Just had to get it off my chest ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel better, you're not alone. I have lots of hearts (do you use Heartomatic?)but sales have been way down for 2010. I had a flurry of encouraging activity in December- even sold two paintings; but for 2010, all I've sold is cards!
    Hang in there, it's bound to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felicia - my case is a carbon copy of yours. Nothing, Nada, Zilch in 2010. I know I need to post new stuff more often, but I have too many irons in the fire. It would be nice if someone posted the magic bullet to jump start our sales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie and Lynn - I hate when I get in a mood like this because I get so wrapped up in myself that I lose my empathy and understanding that other people might be going through the same thing or worse. Thanks for reminding me that at least I am not alone.

    Let us all hope for better days to come. In the meantime, I guess we all just keep plugging away and sharing whatever we can. We artists are nothing if not hopeful.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails