Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oh, the Stories You'll Tell ...

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper
until the drops of blood form on your forehead.
- Gene Fowler

It's only the first day and I feel the drops forming already ... !

I don't know what possessed me, because I'm always complaining that I keep running out of time to do all the things I want to do on any given day, but I signed up to a 4-week online writing course called:

Oh the Stories You'll Tell: A Celebration of You and Your Work

The impetus came from my online friend (who I hope to meet in person some day), Natasha, an artist, writer and all-around beautiful person who created this course. I have been participating in her Thursday Sweet Treat weekly challenge for at least a year, and I trust her to always be a supportive and optimistic leader.  She has a second blog that focuses more on her writing, Creative Nachos.

Why do it? Well, I love quotations and I love when I read some prose or poetry that "hits" me - whether it makes me cry, or makes me laugh out loud, or makes me look at something in a different way, or makes me cut it out and stick it on the wall to keep forever because I love it so.  I would like to be able to write that way myself.

I've always had the dream to write and illustrate my own book. If that is going to happen I must be more conscious not only of the visual work but the words I use with it. I need to stretch myself.

So until I create my own prose and poetry, here's two more experts on creativity.  Wish me luck.

To know is nothing at all; to imagine is everything.

- Anatole France
 
My aim is to put down what I see and what I feel in the best
and simplest way I can tell it.
- Ernest Hemingway

5 comments:

  1. Felicia...there are so many times I wish you saw what I see when I spend time with you. Your bravery, your beauty, you longing for more for YOU is inspiring beyond words. Just by posting this..you have already started to expand and open your writing...I can see it. I'm truly proud of you and cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am that you are in this course...good things are on the horizon...I feel it in my bones..and that book...it WILL get done...just watch and see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't I tell you all that she is supportive and optimistic?

    Thank you Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felicia, I am truly thrilled and honored to be taking this month long journey into creativity being with you. :-D

    ~Dawna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote is fantastic! I look forward to getting to know you better this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what you'll write; I know it'll be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails