Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I Ran Down the Stairs Today

I ran down the stairs today.

I did it without even thinking. 

Big deal, you say.  Well, if you have been around my blog for awhile, you'll remember that I have had an ongoing back problem with multiple surgeries over the past 10 years.  Last March I spent almost a month in St. Louis where all the messy hardware from previous surgeries was removed and replaced correctly.  I now have more metal and screws in my back than Ace Hardware has! 

I'm now in my 8th month of recuperation and enjoy small victories every day. The stairs have been an accurate measure of my progress. When I first came home it was all I could do to get up the stairs, one at a time, holding on to the railing for dear life. For the longest time I was totally out of breath by the time I reached the top of a very short staircase. (I blamed it on altitude!)  As time has gone on it gets better, but until very recently I was still holding on and taking one stair at a time.

This November, the month of Thanksgiving, I cannot express how thankful I am for that compassionate surgeon who takes on the worst surgical cases and more often than not creates miracles.  He sure did with me.  Friends and family are amazed at how completely different I now look.  I never realized how much the pain and discomfort in my back was reflected in my face and indeed in my entire appearance.  (I'm loving all the compliments, by the way!)

So ... running down the stairs WAS a big deal for me.  It's amazing what we take for granted.  Until we lose it.

1 comment:

  1. That is so fantastic!! Congratulations. I am so happy to hear that your recovery from surgery (and the surgery itself) has been and continues to be so successful. Enjoy!!!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails