Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sisterhood of the Traveling Vases

I have two inexpensive black plastic vases that I acquired many years ago. I don't even remember if I bought them or they arrived as flower arrangements. But over time they have become quite versatile!

In 2009 I provided decor for a nephew's graduation party.  His preferred colors were black and red so I put together these buffet table arrangements with the vases.  I bought some silk flowers in red, blue and white and used the reds here. The branches and "curlies" were spray painted black.  I had the curly ribbon on hand and I added some shiny black shred to cover the floral foam.  The flags were various quotations about music (he's an extremely talented pianist), education and "congratulations" in various languages. 


This past June his younger brother graduated.  His preferred colors were lime and blue, so the vases and the branches got a spray paint job. I used the blue flowers, painted the white flowers with the lime green paint and added a blue bow and curls.  This nephew is a photographer, so the decor focused on photography. I added "film strips" with photos from his younger days.


Fast forward to this Christmas. I hadn't gotten around to disassembling the arrangements and just put them up on my "book" shelves and forgot about them. When I started my half-hearted Christmas decorating I made a few small swap-outs and ended up with this:

How easy-peasy is that?? I love this color combination - blue-green and lime green - so I think it's a keeper.  I have a few more years before the next niece graduates, so these vases will get a vacation until then!

1 comment:

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails