Saturday, December 17, 2011

Staying Positive - Tough Sometimes


The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled.  For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.
Unknown

That quote was part of an excellent article by Sarah on her blog, Clover Lane, on the subject of Staying Positive. It's a great article - pop over and read it.  
The article was especially meaningful for me, because I have been in a bit of a rut myself lately.  Perhaps it's natural to start questioning things at this time of year, the new year being a time of new beginnings and all. That's what I'm mulling around: is what I'm doing - with my life, my shops, my art, my blog - taking me where I want to be?  And if not, what to change and how to change.

Christmas is my favorite holiday, and at this time I'm usually positively giddy (and glittery!) with excitement for the holiday festivities.  But this year is different.  Although my health and life are good without major problems right now, there's many serious life changing issues happening right now among my loved ones, and that troubles me as well.  I have been at the center of the planning for our family Christmas party every year and tomorrow will likely be the last one. Our family is simply growing too large and too scattered geographically - I'm afraid it's no longer a pleasure but a bother for some people. 

Sorry. I don't mean to sound like Scrooge. In my heart I know that once the family is all together tomorrow my mood will lift and I will be of good cheer once again, grateful that we are all still here and loving each other in spite of life's challenges.

I promise the next time I see you here I will be more upbeat and positive. I promise. 

4 comments:

  1. The holiday seasons are tricky -- when it comes to how it affects our emotions. All these feelings are normal. It's been a year of ups and downs, and a new year is just around the corner, too.
    Family does help cheer up and forget the little insecurities we have that sneak in once in a while.
    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas with your family.
    BTW, I love the goodies! They're perfect fit for me. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand & feel quite similar.
    This has been a tough year for us health wise and we still aren't at the end of it yet. But we have so many blessings, and we are concentrating on those.
    I appreciate you sharing your talents with the rest of us in blogland!
    Hope you have a great time with your family!
    ♥'s
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it will help you to know you're not alone! We've had a tough year too with lots of different issues swirling around and LOTS of surprise expenses too. The end result is a really "skinny Christmas". You're right that it's not always easy to stay positive in these times.....I often find myself thinking negative thoughts and then trying to find a quick 5 things to be grateful for! I don't like feeling this way......but it does help me to know I'm not alone!
    Love you, my dear bloggity friend!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies, for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails