Thursday, June 28, 2012

Refinished Potting Bench Tutorial

I have been very busy on my patio for about a week now, working on two different  projects I was determined to do this summer. I was also determined to use supplies I already had on hand and not buy anything new.  I succeeded about 99%. I'm kind of pleased with how my projects turned out; not so sure my body is pleased with what I put it through!  Here's the first project - the one that was a little easier.


Here's the before and after:


I'm almost embarrassed to show that "before" photo!  Here's the steps I took to take my potting bench from ghastly to gorgeous. First, get rid of the junk and assess what needs to be done. 
The wood needed some TLC, so I used a wood cleaner I had left over from another project to clean and condition the wood.  The cleaner also removed some algae on the legs.  Next, some sanding and the bench was ready for painting.


First a coat of primer ...


Then a first coat of blue.  Why blue? Because that's what I had, silly! Remember? I'm using what I have on hand.  LOL!


 I have to admit that I usually don't plan my projects to the last detail before I start and I have been known to make decisions on the fly.  After I had the first coat on, I decided I wanted to try a little color-blocking so I pulled out some cream colored paint and made my on-the-spot choices.  That made for a very long day - the sun was going down by the time I finished.

The next day, some finishing touches:  I picked up these cabinet knobs at a garage sale a while back.  I thought they were cute, much cuter than the holes in the bench, don't you think?


I have had these garden pots for several years, although they became blue just last summer when I loaned them out as table decor for my nephew's graduation party.

The watering can was rescued from a neighbor's trash when they moved two years ago, and I spray painted it with Rustoleum Key Lime Ultra Coverage 2X paint.  (Love that paint!)


My one new purchase specifically for this project are the two green bins and the blue bucket, all from the Dollar store!

So ... behold my new potting bench!  Stay tuned for the second half of my project - a much tougher job than this one.

Have you seen its companion: Privacy Wall/Storage Bench?

Linking up: My Repurposed Life.

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I once turned an old secretary desk into a potting stand and it worked so great (better than a real potting stand). Bought wash buckets to stick inside the large bottom drawers and was able to fill them with all different types of soil, vermiculite, perlite etc. to have easily accessible. The desk opened up to be used as a large space to work on, and the smaller drawers on top held all the clippers, marking tags, twine, etc. It is so neat to be able to re-purpose items like this rather than sending them to the dump. You are one of the greenest people I know, Felicia. KEEP IT UP!!

    Aloha!~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous !! Come link it up with us at our party: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/ . This is something to show off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it is soooo pretty! Very fresh and happy. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from My Repurposed Life. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-4.html Wishing you a grand weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. A coat of white paint really freshened it up :) I always had plans of changing my sewing machine cabinet into a potting station but then we moved, and I ended up just donating it to Goodwill. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you really worked your magic on this potting bench. I sure could use one, but I have no place to put one. :(
    love the blue pots too!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!!! Nice work! I just picked one up on the side of the road amongst a pile of someone's discarded gardening goods right next to our towns famous "Iris Gardens". My fella is a landscape designer & builder (incredibly talented:) and he said "Go for it! Let's make this your potting table and project." So he's helped me to replace some of the wood on the lower shelf, replace several screws to make it more sturdy, and I spent the other day sanding it down to the natural wood. Now we're trying to decide on the finish. At first we were going to go for "an old red barn" look bc the wood we used to replace some of the rotted wood it had, was actually the wood we salvaged from a barn upstate and we picked out hardware that looks like an old hose/spicket knobs. But Ive always liked the idea of bright colours, such as you did with your table, as well. Either way, it's been so much fun to do and I'm documenting it every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's exciting! Please share when you have it finished. Would love to see it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails