Thursday, August 30, 2012

Shabby Chic Mini Lamp Tutorial

 I acquired this forlorn little 11-inch high lamp when a friend's closet was getting cleaned out. In spite of the bad shape it was in, I thought it was cute and had potential, as they say!


When I started cleaning it that's when I realized that the wire frame was permanently attached.  Not only that, the fabric shade was also glued tight to the wire frame.  I'll save you all the messy details; suffice to say they involved a lot of cutting, scraping, and lots of Goof Off and Lacquer Thinner.



 
Once the lamp was cleaned and dried, I spray painted the base and the wire a lovely soft pink.


Once again, I'll spare you the details, but I tried about four different treatments for the shade - fabric, rice paper, ribbon trim, yarn.  I wasn't happy with any of them, and working with an attached frame presented some serious challenges.   I finally decided on a shabby chic look.  I had three fabric remnants in the pink family.


I cut strips about 5 inches long from each of the three fabrics.
 And I tied knots along all of the wires in the frame.
 
 


I didn't want to paint over the electrical information printed on the stem, so I just wrapped it with a piece of fabric. 




Here's a closeup of the ties.


 So here it is.  After many false starts, I'm pleased with the final result!



Linking up:



Tuesday



Friday

Sunday


3 comments:

  1. This is very cute and a very easy transformation!

    I would love if you would post it and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any of your creative project!

    Susan @ Oh My! Creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! It looks amazing, can I also ask, did you do the glitter fruit photographed with the lamp? Don't worry about the false starts, anytime you're having a bad day, feel free to come on over and visit, almost every thing I do starts (ends!) with disaster :) If they all ended up like this I'd be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love Shabby Chic fabric they are simply gorgeous,thankyou for hosting this wonderful giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails