Last summer, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw this pile my neighbor put out for the trash. At the time I didn't know what it was, but it was good, clean wood and I wasn't about to pass it up. Score! Turns out these were bed slats for an Ikea bed. I have been using them for various projects ever since.
This is my Mom's sewing machine stand. I have very early memories of learning how to sew on this when it was still a pedal sewing machine. Mom eventually moved up to a more modern electric machine, but she kept this stand and I inherited it when she passed.
I wanted to make a new top for it, so I stained four of those bed slats and secured them with cross pieces underneath
I wanted to acknowledge Mom somehow, so I scanned a page right out of our family genealogy albums. Mom has always sewn her own clothes, and I guess during the 1920s-1930s she liked having her picture taken!
I added these cute little tiles purchased from an artist friend, and a few sewing related tins I own.
I also used three of the slats to make new shelves for my dining room wall. My previous configuration was just a bit too much and I wanted something simpler.
I knew I wanted some kind of hardware for the shelves, so I wandered the aisles at Lowes and Home Depot (one of my favorite things to do). I saw these and thought, "why not!" These are handrail brackets. They had both brass and oil rubbed bronze brackets, but the brass were $2 cheaper. I bought the less expensive brass - there's nothing a can of spray paint can't solve! Done!
The final project for today is my mirrored planter. I removed the fake etching on the mirror and repainted the whole unit. Easy peasy!
My next post will involve THE biggest target for change: my sleeper sofa.