Monday, September 12, 2016

The Before and Now the After - My Redecorating Project

Over the last few weeks I have been posting my condo redecorating project, step by step.  It's done for now, and I'm taking a break before I attack the downstairs half-bath and my upstairs bedroom/bath.  It has been just too hot here for me to think about anything this labor intensive.  I'll wait for the cooler fall days before I start another redecorating project.  In the meantime, I'm back to working on improving my etsy shops - they have been sorely neglected lately.

So here's the summary of what was done.

 BEFORE: Dining room area; kitchen off to the left, wall of windows on the right.  Targets for change: Wall color, rug
AFTER: New wall color is Behr Premium "Cafe Cream."  Photos here don't do it justice. It's not white, it's not beige; it's a soft cream color. (Makes me think of egg nog, of all things!)  I worked with the paint clerk to find a color with the warm recipe I was looking for. Cafe Cream has light yellow and brown tones in the mixture.  I sold three matching area rugs and purchased a light beige rug at Lowe's for $99.  My kind of price!
BEFORE: Targets for change: shelves, laminate counter
AFTER: New shelves - and a new autumn display.  Painted counters. See the counter tutorial here.
I like having the shelves so I can change out my display for the seasons. The current fall display is a combination of my old and new artwork and treasured gifts from friends and family. See how I put together these shelves here.
 
Foyer; living room to the left, front door to the right. Targets for change: wall color, door colors, corner shelf unit, lamp, wall decor
AFTER: Sold the torchiere lamp, painted the corner shelf unit and the door wreath, and rearranged the wall decor.  At least on my computer, the wall color here looks the closest to the actual color - "cafe cream".
Living Room; Targets for change: SOFA, floor lamp in background, stereo shelving, wall decor, shelf decor, rug
AFTER: Sold the floor lamp in the background, removed the stereo shelves, rearranged all wall and shelf decor, sold rug, painted and rearranged CD/DVD boxes on coffee table.  See the sofa tutorial here.
Targets for change: drapes, new top for my mom's vintage sewing machine base. I learned to sew on that machine.  (Please ignore the messy potting bench outside!)

 AFTER: See the sewing table tutorial here.
 AFTER: I decided not to replace all of my drapes. However, I added inexpensive white sheers and created simple tiebacks with burlap ribbon and rope.  The sheers refreshed the look so much that everyone thought I had replaced everything!
  Target for change: TV cabinet


AFTER: See the TV cabinet tutorial here

 Targets for change:  mirrored planter, framed wall decor

 AFTER: Mirrored planter repainted and faux etching removed, artwork reframed and rearranged.
Well, that's it. I think I covered everything I did. I'm SO pleased with how everything worked out. Alas, it has helped only minimally to give me more daylight for photography.  I hope these photos aren't too disappointing and capture my newly brightened interior well enough. 

 If you have any questions please comment here or send an email.  Thanks for listening!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the light feel & tv cabinet transformation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey. I appreciate your kind comments. And I admit it, I love my TV cabinet!

      Delete
  2. Bonjour,

    Bravo pour toutes ces transformations ! Tout semble plus grand ainsi.
    Merci pour le partage.

    Gros bisous 🌸

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails